Friday 10 May 2013

How to Hide a Drive in windows 7 or Vista


If we have more than one partition on our hard drive, we always try to keep our valuable files and folders into other drives. Sometimes it is for safety purpose or we need our personal files and folders in a different place so just anybody can’t able to access those easily. So we wish to hide those files and folders from others. We can create a separate partition on our hard drive, keep all our personal files there and hide that whole partition. So anybody access your computer, can’t able to open or see that extra partition. I know many of us want this to apply into their computer. It is very easy, for your guidance I am attaching some screenshots also with my write up.
Here you can see my explorer window through My Computer.
Explorer
Now if I want to hide my Drive D then I need to follow these steps;
Start Menu
Click on Start Menu and type regedit in search box
Open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Regedit
Inside explorer box right click on your mouse and click New > New DWard Value. Choose 32 bit.
Rename it to NoDrive
Regedit
Right click on it and select Modify. Change the Base from Hexadecimal to Decimal and put 8 as the value data for Drive D.
Regedit
For me this value is 8 because I am going to hide Drive D. If you want to hide some other drive please follow this chart below.
Table
If you want to hide two or three drives then just add those values. For example if you want to hide drive D and F then just add both the values (D=8, F=32) 8 + 32 = 40
Now close the regedit program and close all open programs. Restart your computer and you will see that Drive D is gone. If you want to revert back your hidden drive just go inside regedit into same path and delete that Nodrive value.
You can ask me that if you want to access anything into that hidden drive, everytime you need to open regedit and delete NoDrive and restart, then my answer will ne be NO. You just make that drive hidden not deleted.
Explorer
Open your explorer and type D: on the path, press enter, you can access all your files and folders. In another way you can click on start menu and type D: on the search box and press enter, it will also give you the same result.

0 comments:

Post a Comment